“Intelligence from Mordor”
Fashion e-commerce is evolving to meet the needs of the next generation of shoppers. The region’s fashion industry has paved the way for sustainable and eco-friendly products. In June 2021, the textile valley project was set up by around 450 textile companies to bring 1% of the country’s textile activity to the Hauts-de-France region and increase the sustainability of companies in the region.
Presentation of the French e-commerce market
France E-commerce Market was valued at USD 68.35 Billion in 2021, and it is projected to reach USD 105.03 Billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 7.49% over the forecast period 2021 to 2027. France is a key consumer market in Europe. and a large e-commerce market in terms of internet penetration, percentage of e-commerce consumers and average spend. According to the E-commerce Foundation, in 2020, the e-commerce sector in France represented 4.79% of the country’s GDP. In addition, the e-commerce industry is expected to represent 5.19% of GDP in 2021. According to the Federation of Electronic Commerce and Distance Selling, online retailers in France earning more than 10 million euros per year represented about 74.5% of the whole. e-commerce revenue in 2021. With an annual turnover of 1 to 10 million euros, e-merchants accounted for 17.3% of total e-commerce revenue.
Download a free sample here – French e-commerce market
Main highlights of the French e-commerce market
- The majority of smartphone users (18%) download digital applications, 11% buy cultural products, such as books, and 10% buy travel, mainly train tickets, on their phone. Additionally, 4% of smartphone buyers buy books and 3% buy CDs and DVDs. Smartphone shoppers say they shop on their phone at home 74% of the time, while 20% say they shop on public transport.
- To create their current and future omnichannel operations, e-commerce companies have understood the value and necessity of mobile commerce (m-commerce) with efficient and user-friendly applications. For example, a partnership between Carrefour and Google Assistant has been set up to allow customers to shop for groceries online by click-and-collect in the app using voice recognition. Another valuable innovation was Simple Maps, an interactive map showing users the best locations, including those selling local and sustainable items within a certain radius.
- Both Lightspeed and Shopify are well optimized for cross-border e-commerce in the European market. H&M, Carrefour and Ikea are excellent platforms for well-known retailers in several countries in Europe and beyond. Additionally, the UK holds the second-largest share, at 3.9%, with nearly 59,000 Shopify e-commerce sites. Germany completes the top five with over 23,000 Shopify-built e-commerce websites, while France (around 19,000) and the Netherlands also have many Shopify-built websites (over 12,000) .
Check out our other latest research on –
Recent developments in the French e-commerce market
- May 2022 – French advertising and PR firm Publicis Groupe acquired Irish e-commerce analytics company Profitero. This platform allows businesses to measure their market share growth performance against their competitors. Additionally, the platform’s analytics can track over 70 million products across 700 retail websites, including Amazon.
- May 2022 – Decathlon has chosen Quadient as part of its omnichannel strategy to strengthen itself and offer different delivery options to its customers. The company plans to accelerate its e-commerce by offering services such as 24-hour delivery throughout France, drive, rental, second life, and many more.
- April 2022 – Bloomboxclub Limited, a subsidiary of PlantX Life Inc., launches a new e-commerce platform in France. This new domain incorporates PlantX’s innovative e-commerce signature and digital infrastructure designed to improve online user experience and increase customer satisfaction.
Related searches and links
List of key players in the French e-commerce market
- Cdiscount SA
- The good corner
- eBay France SAS
- Vertbaudet SAS
- Leroy Merlin SA
- Carrefour S.A.
- La Redoute SA
Mordor Intelligence has segmented the French e-commerce market according to B2C e-commerce and B2B e-commerce:
- By B2C E-commerce (Market Size & Value Based Forecast (USD Million), 2020-2027)
- Market size (GMV) for the period 2017-2027
- Market segmentation – by application,
- Beauty and personal care
- Consumer electronics
- Fashion and Clothing
- food and drinks
- furniture and house
- Others (Toys, DIY, Media, etc.)
- By B2B E-commerce (Market Size & Value Based Forecast (USD Million), 2020-2027)
- Market size for the period 2017-2027
About Mordor Intelligence
Mordor Intelligence is a business information and consulting company. Our mission is to map complex business ecosystems around the world to better predict butterfly effects. To date, we’ve partnered with more than 4,000 companies across 20 industries, delivering accurate data and actionable insights across more than 6,000 projects. Our teams of domain-specific research experts continuously monitor the markets, enabling our clients to gain a competitive edge through high-quality market intelligence.
We offer fully customized intelligence solutions to meet the unique business needs of any organization. Our deep industry expertise, combined with cross-functional analyst teams, enables us to meet the intelligence needs of the most specific business problems.
Company Name: Mordor Intelligence Private Limited
Contact person: Sai Teja
E-mail: Send an email
Call: +1 617-765-2493
Address:5th Floor, Rajapushpa Summit, Nanakramguda Road, Financial District, Gachibowli
State: Telangana 500008